Besides using the Herman starter (sweet sourdough) for bread making, it can be incorporated into cakes or muffins! Love this fruit cake which is packed with fresh apples, dried fruits and cinnamon. The texture is moist and tender with sugar crunch toppings! I'm having fun exploring recipes using Herman starter. ^0^ Stay tune for the next coming post!
- 220gm Herman starter
- 100gm cake flour
- 200gm plain flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 200gm fine sugar
- 2/3 cup rice bran oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 red apple, peeled and cut into chunks
- 100gm raisins
- 100gm dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs and sugar together till sugar is well dissolved. Stir in oil and vanilla. Stir in Herman starter till well combined.
- Add in both flour, salt, cinnamon powder and baking powder and fold till just combined.
- Add in apples, raisins and cranberries and fold till well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into a lined 8" round pan. Sprinkle brown sugar and melted butter over.
- Bake in preheated oven at 160 deg cel for 90 mins or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Tent the pan at the last 10-15 mins to prevent over browning.
- Cool in pan for 10 mins before unmoulding onto a wire rack to cool down completely.