Saturday, February 28, 2015

Gula Melaka Agar Agar

Who knows that agar agar making can be so challenging!? I've actually attempted 3 trials before I succeeded in making this gula melaka agar agar @.@ The jelly actually separated into 2 even layers on its own after cooling down. The first two attempts I've used too thick coconut milk (different brands) resulting a thin agar agar layer forming or it did not separate at all! So frustrating but the taste still equally yummylicious :D 


I was too lazy to sieve the gula melaka mixture therefore the sediments were rather obvious :P Moreover I actually bought a wrong agar agar powder! hahaha I wrongly grabbed a pack of orange colour one. Only realised it  after I pour it into the pot....so silly >.< Luckily the colour blended so well into the gula melaka mixture, that's why my agar agar had a deeper tone. So don't be alarmed if your agar agar turned out lighter than mine :D




Recipe ref : Baking's Corner
Ingredient
  • 12gm agar agar powder
  • 750ml water
  • 200gm gula melaka (palm sugar)
  • 2 blade pandan leaves, knotted
  • 200ml coconut milk* + 2 tbsp water + 1/4 tsp salt

Method
  1. Cut palm sugar into small pieces.
  2. Put sugar, water and pandan leaves into a pot and bring to boil. Cook over low heat till sugar is well melted. Sieve to remove any sediments.
  3. Add agar agar powder into the gula melaka mixture and bring to boil for 5 mins.
  4. Add in coconut milk and stir to mix evenly. Cook over medium heat till mixture comes back to a slight boil. Do not over boil. Remove from fire immediately.
  5. Pour the mixture into a 7" square pan or individual jelly mould. Leave to cool and set in room temperature. The jelly will separate into 2 layers as it cool. Chill well before serving!
* I used Ayam brand coconut milk

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi. Can i ask how long do i need to chill it?

Peng said...

Vanessa Tan....I prepare in the noon and chill till after dinner, by then it will be cold enough to serve.

Unknown said...

I made before and mine also never separated.. what brand coconut milk did u use in the end? Can i use my own coconut milk make from blending grated coconut and sieving?

Peng said...

Jasvinder Kaur...I've used ayam brand coconut milk. U can try using freshly squeezed milk.

Unknown said...

Why my agar-agar not separated? I am using ayam brand coconut milk. What method went wrong?

Peng said...

Irene Lok,sometimes over heating the mixture is the reason. do not let it come to a rolling boil.

Peng said...

Irene Lok,sometimes over heating the mixture is the reason. do not let it come to a rolling boil.

Jac said...

Hi, may i knoww to prevent my agar agar from water pooling after taking it out from the mould?

Peng said...

Jac....is normal that it will 'sweat'. So I usually unmould them just before serving.

Unknown said...

Hi, I would like to know if adding coconut to agar agar will change the taste and color of my agar agar. My agar agar is purple in color, I want a lighter shade of purple.. So does adding coconut milk does the effect?

Peng said...

Jamie Chew...adding coconut will result a milky purplish instead of translucent.

Related Posts with Thumbnails