Friday, January 24, 2014

Lemon Cookies

Hmmm after baking this last batch of cookies, I've checked my stock of butter and realized have used up 8 blocks of butter!! hahaha that's quite a large amount of butter used just for baking cookies ^0^ This batch of lovely lemon cookies is made especially for my 2 kids to bring to school for their CNY celebrations in school :D 

No lemon essence is used in these cookies, the subtle lemon flavour comes from the fresh lemon juice and the zest. No weird aftertaste, just soothing light lemon taste which I like.  My boy sampled one and told me it is lemon cookie which I did not tell him beforehand! To make it more attractive, I've decorated them with some colorful sprinkles on top of the cookies which I think it will be appealing to the kids :D Hope they will enjoy this little cookie as much as I do!


This is how they looked like before baking, every define outline. As the cookie batter is rather soft, after baking some of the cookies outline becomes blur. I've should have chilled the tray of cookies before baking to reduce the spreading but anyway my fridge is packed hehehe….




hahaha I was trying to search for a decent looking cookie for photo taking and found this cutie, this is one of the better looking one ^0* Aiyah but I think the kids won't go into such details, as they will just pop them into their mouths hahaha….


Recipe source : 'Traditional Koh Kuih, Lap Mei & Cookies' by Y3K
Ingredient (approx 65 cookies)
  • 200gm salted butter
  • 120gm icing sugar, sifted
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 1 tsp vanilla paste
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 2 heap tsp lemon zest
  • 300gm plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • sprinkle for decorating

Method
  1. Cream butter and icing sugar until fluffy.
  2. Beat in egg yolks until well blended.
  3. Beat in vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest.
  4. Sift in flour and baking powder in 2 batches and fold till just combined.
  5. Scoop cookie batter into cookie press and pipe out cookies onto lined baking sheet. Decorate top with some sprinkles.
  6. Bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 12-15 mins until the edges is slightly brown. Cool completely before storing.

I am linking this post to Bake Along event, Chinese New cookies for the month Jan 2014 organised by Frozen Wing, Bake for Happy Kids and  Kitchen Flavours.


I am submitting this post to  Cook Your Books #8 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours

3 comments:

lena said...

yeah, whoever is eating it wont look into the details of the cookie after all i think the coloured rice chips have already made them look pretty and cute! it is cny, fridge is always full as expected...haha

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Peng,
Your cookies do look really appealing! I'm sure the kids would love these! Your son has very sharp taste buds!
Thanks for sharing!

Zoe said...

Hi Peng,

You have used 8 blocks of butter for cookie baking!!! You must be baking a lot. You must be having lots of stamina to bake these.

Zoe

Related Posts with Thumbnails